26 February 2012

Boredom and Loneliness

I seem to have an abundance of boredom lately, and with that comes loneliness. I don't tend to feel lonely when I have things to work on, but when my mind is inactive I begin to realize how isolated I am.
I have been working on a project for the past week or so and just completed it today. I'm proud to have it finished, but now I have to come up with something else to do! I've been creating workbooks to explain cognitive behavioural therapy concepts to children and adults with cognitive delay. So far I have finished "The Happy Workbook" which is written to help distract a person from feeling bad by focusing on healthy self-esteem, coping techniques and distraction techniques. Now I'm planning "The Emotion Workbook" which will look at different types of emotions, why we have "unpleasant" emotions, how to let emotions out in healthy ways, and the difference between emotions and thoughts. Then I suppose I will work on "The Thought Workbook" which will look at healthy and unhealthy thought patterns, how our core beliefs affect our thoughts, and how to change negative thought patterns by challenging them.
For now, though, I seem to be creatively stuck and have defaulted to being bored. So, of course, I feel lonely. I wish I could call someone up and go meet them for coffee, or go see a movie, or SOMETHING. I don't have anyone to call, though, as my fiance is out doing stuff with the guys. I feel terrible that my only social contact is my fiance because that must feel like an awful burden to him at times. Perhaps, someday, I will have friends to spend some of my time with. I really would like that.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous18/3/12 14:48

    I feel this way too. Looking back at when I was young, I will offer a suggestion in that if you look for and find friends, make sure you are doing it for you, not because you think you should because he goes out with his friends. Be active in the things you love to do, and if you find friends doing this/these activities, you'll be in a "truer" or stronger and, in my opinion, happier place.
    nice writing, good blog, hi and cheers.

    ReplyDelete